The aim of this module is to inform the course participant on the current status quo around the production volumes, the qualities, the fate and opportunities and barriers for more responsible and sustainable exploitation of side stream biomasses from European fisheries and aquaculture industries.
On successful completion of this module students will be able to:
1. Understand the production volumes, chemical characteristics, and sensory properties of marine side stream biomasses in Europe
2. Understand the opportunities and barriers in exploiting marine side stream ingredients in novel products for the human food markets with special focus on marine-based nutritional supplements
3. Understand the principles of downstream processing of marine biomasses to produce oil and protein-based food ingredients and products
4. Learn methods to be able to determine the quality of the finish products, using chemical, biological and sensorial test studies and also how to improve their quality.
5. Understand the different methods available for processing and valorisation od fish side streams
6. Learn about downstream processing
7. Learn about product opportunities developed from processed fish side stream raw materials
Fish protein concentrate
Fisheries and aquaculture side stream biomasses
Marine ingredient chemical properties
Oil stability and oxidation
Omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
Restructure fisheries products